Abalone for Mother's Day?

Today I went to post a registered article in Singapore Post Office. While serving me, the officer asked, "Would you like to buy Abalone for Mother's Day? We are having a promotion.."

I gently said 'No'.

She then asked, 'How about getting a watch for your mum?'

I was annoyed, but I told her gently, "My mum is not around anymore..." and I left the counter.

My mother passed away in November 2003 due to cancer. That was about 2 years after I graduated from University and started my work life in a Statutory Board. I love my job, and usually worked till\late. My mum would then call me when I do not reach home by 8pm... Back then, I was bullheaded - as a young graduate wanting to climb the corporate ladder fast fast... and left my parents waiting at home for me...

Mum was diagnosed with third stage lung cancer in February 2003. I was angry - i never thought this could happen to her. Mum did not want to go through chemotherapy, so she rested at home. The doctor said Mum would need to report to hospital if she felt her lungs were uncomfortable, that was when there were water trapped in the lungs, and she would need to go back to hospital to 'offload' the water.

During that time, we tried Chinese herbs, and went to doctors for second opinions and treatment. These seemed to help mum psychologically. She seemed normal to everyone. Then came one day in November, when she complained that she was not feeling well. I accompanied her to the hospital, thinking that as long as the doctor gets the water out of her lungs, things should be good again. I reassured mum that everything will be fine - as doctor just need to take out the water...

I was wrong! Mum's condition deteriorated rapidly the day she was admitted to hospital. The cancer cells spreaded suddenly and the doctors were not able to draw out any water. We were hoping for all kinds of miracles to happen but nothing happened. She passed on after 3 days in hospital...

One of my greatest regret is not having spent enough time with her.  I have not say I love her.

(Sigh)...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Keith & Weiwei's Pre-Wedding

2020 Covid-19 and Virtual Tours